Tuesday, December 1, 2009

1 Nephi Chapter 3

Every parent should have a Nephi. When I was living with my parents as a child they bought me John Bytheway's book "How to be an Extraordinary Teenager." The book talks about how awesome it is to be good. I think that John Bytheway had Nephi in mind when he was writing the book. If I could get all my kids to act the way he did, I'd name them all Nephi, even the girls.

Lehi dreamed a dream dreaming that their family would be ultimately destroyed if they did not leave in the night. Now Lehi tells Nephi to go back and get the Brass Plates from an evil man (probably his cousin), who has a lot of riches and probably political power. What was Nephi's response?

"7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

After their journey (probably 3-7 days), they returned and attempted to take the plates from Laban.

Attempt #1 - They cast lots, and they fell on Laman. He attempted to negotiate, and Laban tried to kill him. Fail.

Attempt #2 - Nephi persuades his brothers to buy the plates from Laban. Laban sees the riches, tries to kill them, steals the riches and doesn't give them the plates. Fail.

Laman and Lemuel then get mad and hit Nephi and Sam with a rod. An angel appears and chastises the older brothers. Laman and Lemuel complain after the angel leaves. (good riddance right?) Nephi of course doesn't complain, and he encourages his brothers to have faith.

Attempt #3 - to come

No comments:

Post a Comment